Friday, April 3, 2009

GOOD NEWS :))

Hello to everyone,

Two days ago I went to NIIED to talk about that document stuff. First of all thanks to Mr. Ho-nam Park for talking and discussing all the procedure with me.
Let's begin from that unrestricted and designated problem. Mr. Park told me that according to the contract between South Korea and governments of scholarship holders, this issue has been decided. I mean it depends on the relation between South Korea and your country either you are designated or unrestricted.
Secondly, you can submit your choices later at Busan. It is not compulsory to submit now. And I have received an email from IIE which says our choices are not going to be given to NIIED, it only aims to know how many students are going to apply to Kyung Hee. Because if you want to apply to Kyung Hee, you have to have an interview with a professor related with your major. After that interview, the professor is going to write a recommendation letter. So it is up to you. I mean, if you are so sure that you are going to apply to Kyung Hee university, you can submit your choices now. I have to apologize from IIE for misunderstanding this.
And two good news:
Firstly, (FOR DESIGNATED STUDENTS) if you fail entering to 5 universities you don't have to study at the university choosen for you. You can quit your program and go to your country. Let's say, none of the 5 universities admitted you and then NIIED has decided a university for you, if you don't want to study you can quit the program. Mr. Park also told me that if you choose all universities from Seoul area, and if you fail entering to the first university, probably you will fail all of them. So he advised to choose universities from regions also as Miss Kim told us (from IIE).
Secondly, I told Mr. Park about the difficulties we are facing here and the admission procedure (how unfair it is), and I asked him if it is possible to prolong the course period if we fail. His answer was NO. I told him that most of the students are going to apply to the universities in Seoul and if they fail entering to those universities probably they will quit their programs and return back to their countries. So who loses here? Of course, Korean Government. Because we have been supported here by the money of Korean Government (which I really appreciate). I said that there are even some students who can study here only in Korean, and after a language course of 6 months we have been forced to give a Korean Language Proficiency Test, and it is impossible to get 5th level. And if you don't have the result of the English Proficiency Test or if you have only beginner level result from KLPT it is impossible to get into a good university. So he said it can be a good idea to prolong the course period of failed students so they can apply later to the university again. He told me that he is going to discuss with the responsible staff whether it is possible or not. It is just an idea for now.
So, be careful with your choices, because it is going to be really hard to stay in Seoul.

Good Luck to everyone!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I am just a bystander interested in applying for NIIED scholarship program. After reading many information bout this program I notice there are many issues regarding the designated and unrestricted students. You mentioned earlier that it depends on the agreement between South Korea and your country of origin in determining that matter. To have a better idea of how the program works, do you mind to share with me which country has that agreement with NIIED?

Secondly, you also said that the language program only lasted for 6 months. However, according to the information on the application form, scholarship recipients are going to get one year of language training, isn't that the case?

Best of luck with everything. I hope to hear back from you soon.

Many thanks,

S

Javanshir said...

Hello,

First of all, the issues about designated and unrestricted students were in power only for this year. I heard that there are some new regulations about these issues. So it is better if you check it at the embassy of South Korea to your country.
Secondly, when I applied to the program I've been told that I have to take a language course for a year then in the summer I am going to apply to the universities. But after 7 months we were supposed to take exam and apply to universities. After one year course you can get 4th or 5th level from Korean Language Proficiency Test. But after 7 month course you can get 2nd or 3rd level. That is the thing.

Have a good time.